- Do what makes you happy. If you spend time and energy doing things you enjoy, you’re more likely to think and behave positively. Try to schedule time for yourself each day. Suggestion: Note three activities that make you feel happy and commit to at least one each day.
- Be kind to yourself. Your thoughts about yourself and what you say to yourself are powerful. Challenge those negative thoughts and make an effort to be kind to yourself. Talk to yourself as you would speak to your friends.
Suggestion: Write three things you like about yourself.
- Accept yourself as you are right now. Comparison is the thief of joy so don’t measure your life against someone else’s. Focus on your own goals and achievements.
Suggestion: Note three positive things you’ve achieved.
- Recognize mistakes as a part of growth. Aim to be your best, but accept that perfection is impossible.
Suggestion: List three things you’ve learned from a mistake.
- Forgive yourself. We know that mistakes are part of growth so don’t be so hard on yourself when you mess up. View it as a lesson and an opportunity for growth.
Suggestion: When you notice yourself ruminating on your errors, redirect your thinking to something more positive and what you learned from the experience.
- Focus on what you can change. It’s frustrating when you focus on all that is out of your control. Instead, shift your attention and energy on the things that are within your control and take action.
Suggestion: Write down one thing that is in your control and three ways you could change it.
- Get active. Physical movement and breaking a sweat releases happy hormones, like endorphins, and is a great way to increase confidence.
Suggestion: Create at least one way to be active and make it part of your daily routine.
- Create a support system. Seek out those who provide encouragement and positive vibes.
Suggestion: Make time for people who lift you up and support your goals.
9. Celebrate the small victories. Each step you take is another step closer to achieving your ultimate goal. Recognize your efforts and give yourself a pat on the back. It will give you the motivation to keep going.
Suggestion: Note three things you did well at the end of each day.
10. Be a friend. Helping others helps them and you. It’s a win - win!
Suggestion: Write down three ways you can be a friend and practice at least one daily.